Outdoors on the West Fork at Nature Nooks Retreat
Stone artifacts found on the grounds of Nature Nooks Retreat show the
area has been seasonally occupied for 12,000 years. Local
wildlife specialists tell us this is perhaps the single most
bio-diverse property they have ever walked.
- Enjoy modestly maintained walking/skiing trails along
the meandering mile of the Kickapoo West Fork that runs
through the 87 acre property.
- There are also softwood bottom lands and hardwood
forests with ridge-top views all connected by the trails.
- Explore several gurgling springs, ponds FULL of life,
cattail and sedge marshes, and acres of restored prairie,
accessible from the trails.
- Birders will find a rich variety of habitats and
- Help us expand our list of 275 plant and animal species.
- Wade and splash in the river, but bring protection for
your feet as the bottom is rocky in places.
- Kayak or tube the friendly white water, pools and
fishing holes of the river. (Kayaks and tubes are available
at no charge.)
- Fish for brown trout and brookies, catch-and-release
only by rental agreement, using barbless hooks, wet hands,
and no fish out of the water. A Wisconsin fishing license is
- Cyclists can enjoy a relaxing ride up and down the West
Fork valley on County Rd. S, right from NNR, or challenge
the ridges. See Blue Dog link, below.
- Driftless Café, Viroqua
- Viroqua Food Coop
- Rooted Spoon, Viroqua
- Dave’s Pizza and Pub, Viroqua
- Tangled Hickory Wine Bar, Viroqua
- Organic Valley Retail Store, La Farge or Cashton
- Kickapoo Cafe, Viroqua
- Pacifico Mexican Grill, 113 N Main St, Viroqua
- Tap House 138, Viroqua
- Norwegian Hollow Hideaway, Viroqua
- Rockton Bar, between La Farge and Ontario on Hwy 131
- Saturday Farmers Market, seasonal, downtown Viroqua
Out and About Locally
- Kickapoo Valley Reserve, La Farge – hiking, biking,
- Wild Cat State Park, Ontario
- Amish Shops
- Norskedalen, Norwegian Heritage Center, Coon Valley
- Fly fishing maps
- Driftless Angler gear and guides out of Viroqua
- Blue Dog Cycles for off-road and touring maps, Viroqua
- Serendipity Golf Course, 9 holes, 2 miles north on S, clubs to borrow
- Viroqua Hills Golf
- Canoe rentals on the Kickapoo out of Ontario
- Vernon Square Cinema
- Driftless Folk School
- Wild Things, Rockton (local furs)
- Enchantment Playground at Eckhart Park, Viroqua
Day Trips from NNR